Start date: ASAP
Job type: 4 or 5 days a week (your choice), permanent
Salary: £30,000 – £40,000 FTE
Application deadline: 8am, 30th May 2022, but we may appoint sooner for the right candidate
Benefits information: https://castfromclay.co.uk/careers/
We’re on the hunt for someone who is driven to find elegant solutions to digital problems.
You’ll be someone with a strong portfolio of creative and visually engaging web designs. Someone who brings UX and UI skills to the table, and adopts a mobile-first design approach. And someone who is curious to experiment with web animations and smooth user experiences. Wireframing and prototyping skills are a must.
You’ll want to make a difference with your work, and get satisfaction from the knowledge that you are using your skills to help tackle global challenges.
You’ll be a part of our 5-strong digital projects team (you’ll be number 6), which includes 3 website developers. The role is a client-facing role, that will support the lead consultant take projects from the user research and concept sketching phase through to build and website deployment.
You will be working with clients in the fields of climate change, environment protection, food security, and/or international development.
At the moment, for example, we’re supporting one NGO to improve the quality of school food, so children are better placed to excel at school. Another team is working with a coalition of 16 countries intent on improving the way we treat and benefit from the ocean, so that future generations can enjoy it the way we can today.
We’re a communications consultancy that helps public policy experts shape conversations that strengthen democracy.
We want to see robust democracies, with people better engaged with the decisions and policies that affect them. Using data, strategy and design, we build powerful campaigns that give big ideas the impact they deserve.
We work with NGOs, think tanks, and university research centres to better connect policy expertise to the audiences that matter – to craft policy ideas into human-shaped stories, and breathe life into them.
What we have recently been working on…
- A multimedia story for the High Level Panel for a Sustainable Ocean Economy (a coalition of 16 countries, from the United States to Norway to Palau) to show the achievements of the panel members on their way to a sustainable ocean economy: https://impact.oceanpanel.org/
- A new website and a campaign in support of the Blue Food Assessment – a joint initiative run by EAT, Stanford and Stockholm Resilience Centre to house their insights into the role of blue foods in sustainable food systems: https://bluefood.earth/
- We designed and built the New Lines Magazine website, which seeks to make foreign policy issues accessible to a broader audience: https://newlinesmag.com/. The website has been nominated for the 26th Annual Webby Awards.
Things to Note
We work from our office in Kennington two days a week (Tuesdays and Thursdays). And you are welcome to use the office more frequently than that should you wish.
Our Core Philosophy
- Tom Hashemi, The Business of Ideas is in Trouble: re-injecting facts into a post-truth world, War on the Rocks
- Aidan Muller, The think tank storytelling series, Cast From Clay
- Aidan Muller & Tom Hashemi, Why the public should matter to think tankers, Cast From Clay
We are looking for someone that can tick the following boxes.
- A belief that the status quo isn’t good enough
- At least 3 years’ experience
- Strong portfolio of creative and visually engaging web designs
- Excellent UX and UI skills, experience creating wireframes and prototypes
- Adobe Creative Cloud, Figma and Sketch expertise
- Responsive web design (happy working to a mobile-first approach)
- Diligent, excellent attention to detail, a strong work ethic
- Working self-sufficiently and as part of a team
- Strong client management skills
Nice to haves:
- Good understanding of WCAG accessibility criteria for design
- Experience creating SVG animations and/or Lottie animations
- An understanding of WordPress
- Experience building websites with Elementor
If this sounds like you, please send an email to [email protected] with the subject line “Application: Digital Designer”. Please send us:
- A short covering letter in the body of your email that includes the below in as few words as possible:
- An idea you’ve heard recently that has stayed with you (it doesn’t have to be anything to do with politics or policy), and;
- A piece of digital design you think is amazing, and why.
- Your portfolio & a short CV.